Monday, November 18, 2013

Hola From Chile –Email 9/9/13

First off, I won't write next week because next week is a national holiday- the 18 de septiembre!!!! 

Wooo! Honestly i am so excited. The whole place is just on fire with chilean pride. SO many empanadas, mote con huesillo, chilean flags, cueca, huasos, I'm just in my element. Haha and I'm staying in victoria! We have cambios this week, and elder rico is already going. Kind of surprising because he goes home in 6 weeks but I'm staying here in victoria and he is heading to another sector. So that means I'll have at least 6 months in victoria in total, and i couldn't be happier. Hopefully it will be more! but honestly i am so happy to be here. This week was just awesome. Sunday night i sat in my bed and just started to reflect on the changes in my personal life this past 4 months and all the blessing that are coming right now and i just broke down because i am so so so blessed. I have everything i could ever imagine. I have never felt so genuinely happy on my mission as i have these past couple days. We are so close to absolutely making this branch a great ward and its about to happen, i swear. We are so so so blessed. 

So anyway, the biggest thing first. This week was amazing with the familia Sanchez. They are doing so so so well. They are just the cutest little family ever i swear. On friday i talked to Josefina, the 12 year old girl, and we gave her her birthday present and everything. She was so grateful, and told us, "Hey, do you want to know what i want for my birthday? I want my mom and dad to get baptized with me." It just tore my heart in two, seriously. Isn't that so perfect? I literally couldn't take it haha. And saturday we had such an amazing lesson with Lourdes where she opened up a ton more and just kind of let us know that she wants to do it really bad but thought she had to know everything perfectly to get baptized. So a member helped her out a ton with her own testimony and sunday when we passed by, she said "well elders. we are getting baptized this saturday. who is baptizing who?" hahah we about died. Honestly never felt a joy so complete than hearing that this family of 4 is going to be baptized this weekend. SO expect those pictures this saturday. I kind of feel like thats why i was here in victoria and thats why a lot of things have happened. I love them so dang much and i swear I'm bringing reinata home with me. She wont leave my arms anyway so its no problem. So yes...they are FINALLY getting baptized! we are awfully proud.

Other things. I had an interesting experience this week about letting the lord work. So many times in our lives we just say no to things because we think that our human capacities wont let us have the time or skills to complete. Sunday at 9:30, i heard that i had to teach sunday school for the youth so i prepared that really fast, and then at 9:50 the branch president asks me to speak because the speaker didn't show up. Without hesitating and saying "HEY PRESI you literally JUST asked me to teach a class that i have had a whole 3 seconds to prepare, i think no" I just said "Yeah id love to" with a huge smile on my face. And literally went up to the pulpit with not a SINGLE thing prepared. nothing. And the second i got up there things just started coming to my mind. The spirit is so real and i was shocked. as i sat down, so many people told me that it was one of the best talks they have heard in a long time, and that it really touched them. One lady told me it answered one of her deep personal prayers. Haha i was like...uhh....okay cool! The spirit is just so awesome. And also i threw in a bike example. Im such a tengberg aren't i? Pretty sure the Tengberg rule is that you cant speak in church without relating to cycling, right? anyway i talked about diligence and how when you hit the wall biking, its really easy to quit. For example, when you get to that wall in the tucson bike race, its like well dang this sucks. But then you realize, i didn't come here to stop halfway through. it doesn't matter HOW much this hurts, i made the decision a long time ago that i was going to finish. THe object was never to finish perfect and unbruised, but just get there. The same is with getting to eternal life. We decide  (or should decide now) that we will get there. The great thing about the gospel is it takes away the doubt. It takes away the "will i go to the celestial kingdom?" because its NOT a secret. we know EXACTLY what to do to have a family eternal. All we have to do is make the decision that we get there. Its hard here because if it rains, or its cold, people say "oh i wont go to church today". But thats not at all what the lord wants. Its not like we can decide, we already DECIDED that we would be obedient! there isn't an option! We just have to keep pedaling, because unless we want to quit halfway we cant just not go or just not obey the commandments. Anyway i hope i said it more eloquently in my discourse because that made no sense, so hopefully the spirit mad it better in spanish. Anyway, i am just so lucky and it made me realize, i will never ever again turn down an opportunity to serve or do something in the church. if i had said no, i would never have had that experience. The lord cant work miracles unless we cant do it on our own. if we can do it on our own, theres no room for him. So when there isn't the ability or the time, its a recipe for miracles!

OH! mom you are the best, seriously. Haha that package was AMAZING. i love the pants and ties so much. I have been rocking them all week and they look great. Everyone keep making fun of my pitillos (skinny pants) and saying i look like one direction...they don't know about slim fit from macys? Half off? c'mon chile get with the program. but mom i seriously love them so much and they fit me perfectly. You're the best! 

And i hit my year mark in chile wednesday. Crazy stuff. How fast a year has gone by! and by the way my new companion is Elder Dominguez from mexico! 4 companions in 4 cambios here in victoria....crazy stuff. and get this...elder mundell will now be being trained by elder OVERSON! My BABY BOY! Haha so apparently i am now a grandpa on the maternal side because elder overson is the mommy of elder mundell? Anyway we will all be in the same house and I'm stoked. 

Anyway, keep victoria in your prayers. Good things are happening. Its just on fire here and we try to keep up. Thanks for all you do and your examples. you're the best.

les quiero mucho

Elder Tengberg

No comments:

Post a Comment