Monday, November 18, 2013

18 para 18- Email 9/23/13


WOW. haha i love chile SO much. i am not kidding, this has been two of the best weeks of my life. i am having so much fun out here in chile, and we are working so hard, and getting so much done. seriously lovin it. so we will just start with the little things!

18 de septiembre was SO fun. haha we got permission to perform CUECA! its the typical dance from here in chile so we got to perform it for the branch. we wore the outfits, the ridiculous hats and the cloaks and we just looke hilarious. my companion elder dominguez danced folklore in college and he is mexican so he can just automatically dance better than me (granted i did take break dance at step by step dance for 3 weeks so i mean....#getonmylevel). but we had such a good time. it was me, my companion, my kid and my nieto all just dancing this ridiclous dance and ahving so much fun. we ate empanadas, anticuchos (shishkabobs), pajaritos (like a little donut thing), mote con huesillo (basically a dried peach that is then re-put in peach juice with this crazy grain thing on bottom. sounds good right? well it actually is so quit judging), asado, everything you could imagine. The rbanch was decorated so fun and we actually helped decorate the two days before so it was amazing. All of our converts went too! every single one. That was a miracle too because we have been struglling to keep our attention on allof then. and since im the old one inthe sector and the other 3 are all brand new a lot of the pressure has fallen on me. so we are just working on that still but it was fantastic. bernardo sanchez is a stud and came in overalls hahaha. I love him so much. He has become like my best friend here, he and i just get along so well. marcelo medina brought his TRAIN that he constructed for his party company, that is a chevy pick up truck converted into a train with open seating and anotehr trailer that lokos just like a litle train. he is still ivnestigating the church (but is active, he just cant be baptized still because of some problems with their old divorce papers) and brought EVERYTHIGN! haha it was incredible. So i love 18. If i ever come back to chile again im coming during 18 because it was so so so fun. This year when i actually understood what was going on and could understand what everyone was saying, i enjoyed it 100% more. but really....i love it here. it was really sad when my dumb kid elder overson tells me "hey dad its your last 18 here in chile"....haha i about killed him. Crazy how time flies though! i got here over a year ago and its just going faster. but the good thing is we still have a ton left to do and i still ahve a ton more time. btu next year ill be making the empanadas with my chilean brothers lythgoe and heyman! 

THe sanchez baptism. One of the most spiritual experiences of my entire mission. I had the privilege of baptizing bernardo and emilia, the littlest girl, and it was so so so incredible. Seriously so special. Bernardo gave me a big hug after he came out of the water and was so happy. I still cant get over the fact that a family got baptized. Like thats what I've been waiting my whole mision for, a family like this, and they are so incredible. The strength they are all giving each other is insane, they love the gospel so much and are so excited to keep this path. Anyway bernardo gave his testimony after the baptism and that was really cool to hear too. he talked about how the first time i met him he invited us to play basketball with his team, and how through that game started one of the most special friendships that he has ever had, and that that game had been the point of the change of his life. Like it brought tears to my eyes because it was just this dad who loves his daughters so much and would do anything for them. He gave up everything in his life, his family is so catholic and hiz mom teaches religion classes at a catholic school and he just took the step without a doubt. He gave me one of hsi favorite shirts too and he is just such a goofball. I love that guy so much. Anyway, the whole thing was beautiful. Lourdes was awfully excited too, and Elder Rico got permission to come back to baptize her. And then elder mundell dd the baptism for josefina, the 12 year old girl. They are such a special family. 

Other people! Marcelo Medina. As i said before i think, he is the military man who is the general of victoria, who is just taking the gospel so to heart. One of the most touching moments of my entire mission was with him. I sat down with him in his living room and we talked all about his life. Turns out he was training in fort bennings georgia when the persian gulf war happened, and actually served in the war for the U.S. he drove an Abrams tank in the war and is like a serious war veteran. haha he is HUGE and looks like a tank himself. The day i went and talked to him, he was in his full military get-up, completely dressed head to toe in camo, all his stars and special patches on, boots laced, and is looking at me crying because he says he loves his son so much. he was reading from one of the pamphlets we gave him about the family and was crying, saying that "I finally know that my responsibility as a father is this. To protect, raise my son, to give him blessings. This is what i want. I need this." I never have felt the spirit so strong. What else in the world has the power to toucha  mans heart like that? the ward LOVES him. everyone that meets him makes the comment that he has the humility of a poor beggar, but has the power in speaking of a general (almost like he is). He is so humble and kind, has this huge company and train and toys for parties for kids, donates stuff all over the place over victoria. The guy is going to be president of stake so soon, i swear. Anyway, his son Marcelito is getting baptized this saturday. we wanted to wait for the whole family but they have some papers that are going to take until March so the joven said that he wants to do it now. So we set up his date and he is getting  baptized this week! I sure do know the gospel is true. If theres one thing ive learned here, its just that its true. It makes bad men good, and good men better. it makes us truly happy, fills those silent quiet corners of our heart that we let no one know about, and makes us truly peaceful. I love it so much and feel so blessed to have been let see miracles like bernardo and marcelo. Their families in turn have been so blessed by the gospel and i love watching it.

We have some more families we are teaching but i will save those for next week as they keep progressing more! Victoria is a celestial sector. Seriously the people here are so christlike. So loving, so kind, so receptive. I feel more at home and more happy than i have my entire mission. The branch has over 20 baptisms in the past 3 months.....like the missionaries are just running around to try and catch up to the members who are doing all the work. Haha I've been so blessed to be here. Thank you all for your prayers and your support! I sure love you!

Elder Tengberg


microphone is marcelo, the kid with us in our cowboy outfits is marcelito, the overalls is bernardo, the wife and baby is bruno and kathy and monse and maite! and the gringo means the white kid. thats me!












No comments:

Post a Comment