Sunday, February 23, 2014

Rodrigo the Baker- Email 2/23/14


Como estamos familia!

Thanks for all your emails and love. Sorry I couldn't write yesterday, we were traveling all day yesterday so I ended up not writing, but we are here in the office so we are taking a little time right now. We don't have too much time though so I'll make it fast! Anyway, I'm feeling so happy right now. It was a week of a lot of personal progression. I'm really trying so hard to take advantage of every second i have out here and it's helping a ton. This week i went through a lot of experiences that really made me think and I was really grateful for. So....

Alejandro got baptized! I was actually super grateful that I got to return back to Los Angeles this week and do his interview for him, because I happened to be in the city. He is that Dad that I had talked to the week before with Elder Watt and Elder Ehlen. He was 100% different. He had huge smile on his face, he had been studying his little pamphlets all day to get ready for the "interview" which is basically just a conversation where before someone gets baptized, we ask them if they really believe in the church and have the desire to get baptized and are willing to live by the commandments and stuff. It's super simple but he was so nervous because he wanted to pass for his baptism. Awesome guy. So that was cool to see the before and after for that. He mentioned that in a year of all that he had been listening, that day where Elder Watt and Ehlen and I went just touched him right in the heart - he said it got him "deep down inside me" but in spanish obviously. Very cool to teach him that the spirit does that and told us what to say because God wanted him to get baptized and stuff. SO cool!

Another experience was Tuesday. I was in a small little city called Mulchen with Elder Cruz (a Colombian) and Elder Shapiro, a rather new missionary from the states. It was a good day but we just hadn't had the results we wanted and were still looking for people to teach. So we stopped and said a prayer, asking for a family to teach that was ready for the gospel and needed it. We asked for some really specific things in the prayer (Also, specific prayers are the best thing ever. God gives us what we ask for. 100% sure witness of that. If we ask for "blessings" he gives us "blessings" in general, but if we ask for the ability to smile through all afflictions and be happy during trials, he gives us that. like he just WANTS and WAITS for us to ask. So incredible/sad to realize how little in my life i actually asked for things from Heavenly Father. How often have i just said "Please help, please bless." But like what does that even mean? Its so useless. I imagine he must be quite bored of me saying "please bless...." Anyway, try that. Be more specific in what you want from God and you will see wildly different results.) Sorry for that side note but the first house we knocked on, this kid named Naxon comes out, like 16 years old. Turns out he is a family of 4 (just like we had asked), his parents are married and already members of the church, and he and his 12 year old brother have no religion. But want to get baptized. We started teaching him and I almost started laughing because it was just too perfect, like everything he said was 100% true and perfect answers. He committed to being baptized and his brother did too, and this dad who said that no one had come by the house in 10 years said that he wants to baptize his two sons. Just seriously....such a miracle. They had moved houses so no one knew where they lived, but that day we walked by after having prayed and felt to knock there. God knew it was the right time! I'm super jealous that I wont be getting to teach them because it's not actually my sector, but I'll stop by another day to see how they are.

Last two stories....
Rodrigo! WE HAVE AN INVESTIGATOR! haha elder White and i have worked here in San pedro probably about 7 hours this entire month. Like we just don't have time to work here. We are always traveling and whatever time we have we do intercambios and help out other sectors. But this guy Rodrigo is a bread-maker who elder Townsend (elder whites old comp here) found with elder white. His wife Lorena is a member inactive and he has two kids as well. We are teaching them little by little (its a super slow process because they own a bakery and are always busy). but we are working with them. He is progressing a ton and we are doing a FHE this week with them so we will see how it goes! It was crazy how happy I was teaching him this week though. it was our only lesson the whole week in our own sector and we were just beaming happy. haha They are an awesome family and I have really big hope for them. Anyway, keep them in your prayers! Rodrigo, Lorena, Natali, y Raulito. Love ´em. 

And me. This week...I've realized how much i still lack in my own personal conversion. It's been a very interesting week to be honest. Because we travel alone on buses sometimes to get to other sectors, it's a lot different. Theres no companion next to you 24/7, so it's time to think more. and HECK I've got a lot of work to do. haha this week i started listening to talks more and i just realized how grateful i am for the restored gospel. We have prophets and apostles that talk to us in our day, people that tell us what God wants us to hear. This week i actually listened to the talk "Profile of a Prophet" by Hugh B Brown, the talk that Mom had listened to right before she became converted. It made me tear up as i imagined Sharon Propst 30 years ago, sitting and praying about whether or not to believe in this crazy vision of this "new prophet" Joseph Smith. Whether or not to join a church she had never been a part of. And as i listened to it i was just so immensely grateful for Mom and Dad for having the courage to live the gospel of Jesus Christ. I never feel as happy as when I live it. I've always been a part of it, but thats a lot different than living it. I repent of the times i didn't live it, and look forward with hope knowing there's a lot more people that i can help to not waste time like i did. But surrounding myself this week with talks, with articles, with the scriptures - really trying to make my daily life based on the gospel has made a huge difference. We have so much more available to us than we think. I thank the people that have been before me and have made it possible that i can live and be a part of the only 100% true church on the earth. Its not just about the name or the title - but about having access to all of the blessings available. As i saw this week, we are so often conformist to the things we have, and forget that God has so much more. I thank every day that i belong to this church and have the knowledge of modern prophets and apostles, of the restored power and authority of the priesthood, and that I know my potential. God is awfully nice to us when we let him in.

I love you all. You're amazing examples and I thank you for it! Lets all keep working until the end. And no telling me how much time i have left! I'm not trunky and you aren't allowed to be either!

Elder Tengberg


we went to a national park last p day in Temuco and i acted 5 years old the whole trip, there were big mapuche statues, there was a "friends of the trees" sign and i laughed, theres a picture of what the buses look like here (cool, huh? super comfy for long distance), and i think thats it. Love you all! 





No comments:

Post a Comment