Sunday, February 23, 2014

What are you, a Primary kid?- Email 2/15/14

Ahh family! Such a good week. Thanks for all your letters. I am just so dang happy right now and this week was 10x better than last week. The week before was just all traveling and meetings but this week Elder White and I peaced out to Concepcion and just went and did intercambios (exchanges) with the missionaries all week. I was in Los Angeles and it was so nice just to work every day in the blaring sun again. Is blaring a word? Does that make sense there? Mom told me last week that capacitation is NOT, in fact, a word. I was under the impression that was the same in English. I meant to say like training or something. Like so they can learn more things? I hate English so much. Siempre les voy a hablar en español, no estoy ni allí si me entiendan o no. UGH is it bad that I'm more myself in Spanish now than in English? like Elder White and i try talking in English and it just sounds awful. Haha we always start laughing. Good stuff.

Anyway, this week I found out I love president even more. Elder Domínguez made more of that super spicy aji stuff, the spicy salsa, and I found out during the meeting with the new missionaries (after their first four weeks) that president is seriously 10 years old sometimes. He was challenging EVERYONE to put more spicy stuff on their pizza (Dad, he only eats hawaiian pizza. I respect that.). Like he kept challenging them and saying stuff like "oh c'mon, thats sunbeam level! at least do enough like the primary girls." or "You trying to eat the pizza or is that for your grandma?" like i was literally crying laughing. hahaha he is hilarious. then I finally got enough people rallied up saying "Presidente, presidente" that he put some on his and was seriously crying because it was so spicy. He is such a goofball. Also I taught Hermana Martinez the word goofball and she loves it. So fun.

But this week i learned a lot about the spirit. We are so quick to become prideful in things, even in TINY things, and it's really easy to forget that we are not the reasons for success. This week I had to do a lesson with this person that has been investigating the church for a year, and it was crazy because the missionaries were like "yeah, he doesn't want to get baptized but we think he can." So kind of a hard task. But it's just so cool to go in, to feel so lost, and then to say a prayer in my heart and have such a clear direction come to my head of what i need to tell him. He was a father, and i mentioned one little thing and then Elder Watt, my old mtc compánion who i was on intercambio with, took off running with it and just got straight to his heart. He talked about how as a father, it isn't personal salvation anymore. How its all about the others. Fathers go to work for their family - not for themselves. Fathers wake up early for their kids - not for themselves. And fathers stay firm in the gospel their whole lives for their ETERNAL family - not for themselves. Elder Watt and Edler Ehlen, his companion, were just awesome and the spirit was so strong. It was just what the man needed. He had seen for the past year the gospel as a personal thing and never had thought about the effect his joining the gospel would have on others. But the spirit knew  that. The spirit knew he had a tender heart and needed to think and act for his family. Anyway, I'm just so grateful for the spirit in this work and the strength it gives us to keep going and to help people. Our potential is much greater with god on our side than alone! If we just let Heavenly father help us, and we do that by being obedient to the commandments, he will always give us a better life. Faith is nothing more than obedience.

I'm happy as a clam! If anyone reading this has never met with the missionaries, do it. You'll never regret letting God speak directly to you and helping you reach your full potential.

Love you all!

Elder Tengberg

No comments:

Post a Comment