Saturday, June 14, 2014

Chao Chao- Email 6/14/14


Well i guess that's all then! Haha I feel really weird right now. I can't believe its over. Anyway I'm not going to write much about that because that, in fact, would be rather boring to write about. Because in the end you'll all just hear me in a couple of days saying the same things so it really won't make too much of a difference. But I'm very, very happy. Not because its over, but because I'm happy that I have been a missionary and been able to be out here. It's been an amazing experience and I am honestly 100x more blessed than I ever imagined. It's crazy how I came out here trying to give something back to God for all that he has given me, and in the end...I'm just more in debt. I'm like the worst client ever I think. haha oh well.
Anyway, what a week! It was awfully fun. We had yesterday our farewell for President Martinez since he will be ending his tenure as a Mission President later this month. It was a hectic experience because we had to organize it all, make sure everyone gets there, make sure everything happens. We had 240 missionaries there! We did it in Angol, my old sector, so I actually got to see a couple of people while I was there as well. Anyway the conference was really special. We made the title "Gracias a Ustedes" which is basically a translation to "thanks to you" but the real meaning is "because of you". its just because doesn't sound good so we had to make it thanks. We basically modeled it after the Easter thing about Christ that the church put out, if anyone hasn't seen it its here


Anyway we even used the same song, but we made a really cool video. Basically we just thought "what would president be feeling right now?" and we thought "the same as us!" haha so we knew very well what would make him feel like he did a good job. What we did is made a book and every missionary put in it "Gracias a ustedes..." and then what they have learned/done/become BECAUSE or THANKS to what President and Hermana Martinez have done. It was so special. Then we made a video as well of the entire mission, each missionary saying little one or two word phrases. Then as you put all the little clips together, it makes a giant phrase and talks about how their influence has changed our life. Honestly, we were all in tears. It was so cool to see on presidents face that expression of sadness for leaving us, but satisfaction that he could tell that he touched our lives. Besides my own father, I look up to my mission president as one of the top men that I know. He interviews us, helps us, gives us advice, teaches us, invites us to become better, and is just an amazing, incredible man. I wish I could talk about him forever but I can't. Anyway, from little things that he does and says I have learned so much from him. The video was incredible, so was the book, so was the entire conference. Dad remember that "profile of a prophet" activity you did? How at the very end you had one kid stand up and start singing? We did the very same thing. #ideastealer. We had one sister who sings amazing stand up and just start singing super soft right as Pres Martinez was leaving the chapel, "God be with you til we meet again" in Spanish. Then 2 stood up, then 10, then 20, then everyone.  Incredible. I am going to miss them an awful lot. It made me feel a lot better this week because it distracted me and made me think THEY were going home and not ME. Haha kind of funny.

Also, Elder White and I one day took the minivan from the office elders and used that instead of the truck. And we took the seats out of it and slept in it. Haha we really wanted to try it one night. When else will i be able to say that i slept in a minivan in chile? Can anyone else say that? 10 points for Elder Tengberg.

Anyway....i love you all. You're my heroes, my best friends, my family. I love you so much, I'm so eternally grateful for the constant love and friendship you've offered me these past 2 years, I'm so grateful for everything. I'll see you soon!

I would just like to end with my testimony of this work. It's true. If there is one thing I've gotten out of it, I have a firm, unbreakable and immovable testimony that Christ is my Savior, that he died for my sins, and that through the very gospel that he taught, I can convert the sadness and sorrow of my life to a bright burning light of hope and love. I know that God is my father in heaven - not a mysterious being, but a father who loves and guides me. I know that he loves me so much that he sent to me, today in OUR modern day, prophets who give us modern direction. I know, from personal experience, that when we follow the commandments that God communicates through his prophets, our lives are richly, unbelievably blessed. There is no greater joy than following them, having the companionship of the Spirit of God, and having the confidence of being worthy to receive blessings from God. I know the Book of Mormon is evidence of everything I just said  - a book that has singlehandedly changed my life. It has taught me more about how I can personally apply the teachings of Christ and has been a blessing in many dark occasions. I know God loves me, and I know that one day, I can be with my family forever if i keep following this plan through good or bad.

I love you all. You're the best! Also I'm getting In n Out on Wednesday, right? Like that's not an option!

Elder Tengberg


#MiniVanMan #dontgetanyideasmomanddad!

No comments:

Post a Comment