Thursday, March 27, 2014

"His Grace is Sufficient" and "The practical approach to the atonement"- Email 3/22/14

Well, what a fantastic week. First off, if anyone has never heard or read these 2 talks, please read them. So good.


Anyway, that just kind of describes my week. I've just felt so spiritually edified this week and i really feel like I'm growing in so many ways. I've grown to like having to drive the truck around a lot and make huge long trips, because i've grown to have such a strong appreciation for having modern prophets and apostles. Every church, Catholic, Protestant, Baptist, Methodist, Jehovah´s Witness, Mormons, we all believe in prophets. We all believe in the Bible, that it was written by prophets. But the difference between our church is we believe that God still calls them. I can't count the number of times i have taught people that and thought, "Its obvious! They HAVE to be there! If God loves all of his children equally, why would he NOT call a prophet today and talk to his children? is it because he cared more about the children in Jerusalem or that we suddenly are so perfect today that we no longer need God?" and i've always had a strong testimony that they existed. But i get it now. I get why that matters to me. I feel like a lot of my life has been based on logical assumptions and analytical looking at the gospel. It makes sense - if i do what God says, he blesses me. If i want more blessings, I just do what he says! But it's so much more. Having a modern prophet and apostles means that when I have questions (as I have had almost my entire mission) I can listen to a talk or a speech, and receive the simple answers that God would have me listen to. The words they say might not be the exact thing that I need - but my act of opening my heart to the appointed representative of the Savior allows Him to send to me the Spirit, which will give me the exact thing I need. I have been praying for so long to know how I can be good enough, how I can be worthy enough, how I can be better. I have been praying for so long to know how to be happier and to have a truly good life. And now I get it and have the desire to constantly surround myself with positive influences like talks and music because it has changed me so much. Incredible stuff! 

Another thing this week too was my interview with President. Elder White and i FINALLY got our interviews! When he did interviews with the whole mission, he never got around to the two of us, so we were praying that he would talk to us soon. It was so needed. I just wish I had the ability he does to make people feel comfortable in opening up and sharing their desires. He helped me out a ton - gave me some great ideas to finish strong, to keep my mind 100% here and not let it wander back to BYU or home or whatever else might call it, and to just give it everything. He also shared with me an email that a missionary wrote to him in which the missionary had said "Thanks for sending Elder Tengberg to my sector on Tuesday. It helped me so much and gave me so much more desire to be better and work harder." It was something I needed so much. Anyway, I'm just beyond happy. I have less than three months left now, and I'm just happy. I'm content, but not satisfied. I want to finish like I did every race, sprinting. I know that the Lord is happy with me, that he wants me to get better, and that he is going to help me do it. Like "His grace is sufficient" says, he isn't waiting at the finish line to receive us in - he is there with us every step of the way. I especially liked that one! But for real, listen to those talks if you can. So powerful hearing how they describe them. 

On that same note, i had an interesting idea this past couple months. Elder Dominguez, my old companion, had inspired me to look for "my biggest weakness". We have a lot. All of us do. but what is the root? What is it that we REALLY lack? What do we need to do? And I found mine. After about 2 weeks of praying and studying,  I found it! That doesn't mean I've fixed mine yet, but I'm so happy to know that I have the ability to change it. After seeing my pride, my egoism, my need for approval, and so many other problems over the past however many months I have left, I'm peaceful to see there is a root problem I can pray about, work on, and change. The gospel is a pretty amazing thing. Thanks mom and dad for having the courage to live it and help me live it too.

Les quiero mucho! El evangelio es verdadero. Dios vive, nos ama, y nos ayudará cuando hacemos nuestro mejor esfuerzo. Que tengan una linda semana y que estén muy bien!

Elder Tengberg


also, chileans use their hazard lights so much. It's honestly hilarious. We don't use them in the states, do we? They use them for everything. Stop light and you are going to brake? HAZARD! Elder white and i make so much fun of them. WHOA THERE IS A STOP SIGN! NO ONE FREAK OUT, iTS JUST A HAZARD! Good thing I have these handy LIGHTS here so that everyone else can see what I'M seeing!

No comments:

Post a Comment