Monday, March 17, 2014

¿Eres pollo o aguila?- Email 3/15/14

First off...Happy Birthday to Matt and Auntie Gin this week! I didn't even know what month it was right now, but mom informed me that it was your birthdays and I'm very happy for you. You're both turning 28 - so exciting.

Anyway...another great week. This email will have to be a pretty short one because i already wrote to a lot of you, but it'll be good either way. This week we just are working on helping out the different zones of the mission. Well that's what we do every week actually, but things are going really well. Or so i thought! We had a meeting with president on Monday morning and he informed us otherwise. So we all had to get our butts into gear and get back to a more diligent work. We called emergency meetings in the north, center and south of the mission, and that was our week. Emergency meetings where Elder White and I spoke and president spoke, and then we went out with the different zone leaders to work with them for the day and help them out in their sectors. Anyway, i just wanted to share a story that president shared in his part of conference!

The story is a lot better in Spanish in my opinion, but none of you speak Spanish so my hands are tied. Minus dad, he would probably get it all! 


The eagle who thought he was a chicken 

Once a farmer found an eagle's egg in an abandoned nest. He took it 
home and slipped it in amongst his chickens under a brooding hen. 

When the egg hatched the mother hen reared the eagle chick as if it 
were her own child. And so that eagle chick grew up thinking that he 
was a chicken. He pecked like a chicken, he scratched like a chicken he 
even walked like a chicken. But in time, he grew bigger and it became 
clear to the other birds that this chick was an eagle. They would swoop 
down and say, "You are an eagle, you and king of the birds. Come and 
fly with us." 
"I'm not an eagle, I'm a chicken," he'd tell them. "My mother's a 
chicken. I live like a chicken. I am a chicken. Now go away!" 

But that young eagle chick continued to grow. One day an owl swooped 
down. 
"Get on my back" he said, "I've got something to show you." 
The young eagle hopped onto the owl's back and the owl flew high into 
the sky. 
"Put me down. Put me down. I don't like it up here," the young eagle 
squawked. 
"You'll be fine," said the owl. "Trust me." Soaring higher and higher, 
the owl finally flipped himself over and the eagle fell, plummeting fast 
towards the ground. 
"Why?" screeched the eagle. "I'm going to die." 
"Just open your wings," called the owl. 

The eagle opened his wings and was caught by the wind. Soon he was 
soaring above the farm and the chickens bellow. "You're right," cried 
the eagle. "I am an eagle. I can fly." 

We are who we are. Wherever we live and whoever we live with.


so....that's the story. Anyway president shared it a little different because in Spanish its a little different, but i just love the story. President said "Many of you are here right now but you are acting like chickens. Are you really chickens? Are you really people that only talk to 30 people a week? Or are you eagles? Is this really what you came here to do?" It obviously wasn't the same words but thats the same idea. I just loved it because so many of us are conditional based on our circumstances. If we go to a calling, or a new university, or a new job, we often think that our potential is the same as what is already being done. but how dumb of us! We have a Heavenly Father who loves us, and if we let him, he will take us to abilities that we had never thought we had. I am awfully grateful that president taught about that, because so much of what i do is precedented stuff, and I'm guilty of conforming myself to those past results. But we aren't chickens. We aren't people who keep our head down, just eating for ourselves and taking the meager things the Lord sends down. We have divine potential and can fly if someone helps us to get there. 

I love you all! Things are going well here. I'm happy, healthy, and loving my mission more than i ever had before. Rodrigo and Lorena and Natali y Raul are progressing so well. Church tomorrow for sure! The other family is kind of done because of some problems, but we are stoked about Rodrigo. Keep up the prayers for the bread-maker!

¡Que Dios les bendiga mi queridas águilas!

Elder Tengberg

No comments:

Post a Comment