Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Moroni=Boss Email 8/24/12 & Some Pictures!


Mis amigos -

Hola! Its been another great week in the MTC. Kind of a boring one actually, but still really good. The most exciting parts were definitely getting 3 packages this week! Mom, your "Gold Medal Missionary" package was so fun to get. I loved it. I loved all the pictures and everything, so thank you so much for that! Shardae, you did not need to send a package all the way from Boston! That was so nice of you. Seriously, you're an amazing sister and I appreciate that so much. I know how busy you are trying to win us an election. so that means a lot to me that you would be kind enough to think of me. And Bryce...you're awesome. You know my love for that cheese popcorn stuff, so thanks. I am hosting this week for new missionaries so I assume I will be next week as well when you come in! Tell me what time you are coming and what car you will be in, and I'll try to be waiting for you. That would be sweet, I would show you all the wrong spots on campus and definitely drop your luggage. Sound good? Sweet.

Anyway, not the most funny week. I feel like I'm a let-down this week because nothing hilarious happened, but there were still a few good things. My favorite was the other day when Elder Watt was studying Jacob 5 about the allegory of the olive tree vineyard. He studied it for quite a long time which was really impressive, and then after he came up to me and was like "Hey can I ask you a question?" So of course I said yes. Haha his question..."Why in the world would anyone want an entire vineyard to OLIVES?! Thats disgusting!" Hahaha I started laughing so hard. Our companionship (me, Watt, and Long) are doing awesome. Mom, they loved the Pez dispensers this week! I have been sharing all my candy and stuff, so they're happy. Speaking of candy, I appreciate all the food so much, but I have SO much junk food! I took a picture of all the candy/food I have, and it literally took up my entire bed. Granted, the beds are tiny and my feet hang off, but still...thats a lot of food. Not saying I want celery and cabbage in the mail, but I am always good with granola bars or powerbars or anything that won't make me look like Chris Farley by the time I leave the MTC.

Sadly, we didn't get a new district in our Zone this week, so Elder Watt and I didn't get to do a fake comp inventory with the new people. I think we will get one this week though, so I'll be sure to let you know what ridiculous thing I come up with this week.

The most hilarious word in spanish is "Fregadero", because you can say "FRIIIGGGGGGADERO" and its super funny. People may be a little confused why we keep going around saying the word for "kitchen sink", but nonetheless, we enjoy it.

Okay, onto spiritual stuff. I have seriously had the most incredible week. My testimony has grown so much, and I just am so blessed to have so much time to study and learn here. We had Elder Andersen of the Quorum of the 12 this week for Tuesday Devotional, and he did awesome. He basically just told stories of President Monson, because it was Monson's birthday on Tuesday. My favorite part, though, was when he talked about our attitudes on the mission. He said, and I don't have my notes on me so this isn't exact wording, "When you remember the atonement and Christ's sacrifice, you will NEVER have a 'bad day' on the mission. Because, every day is another opportunity to talk about the most incredible thing that has ever happened to mankind." I agree with that so much. Its really hard to stay focused all the time, I'll be the first one to admit that. But, when we actively try and remember the REAL reason we do things, we are so much happier. I had an experience where we got to have a 45 minute lesson with another Elder in english, and we just taught each other. I loved it so much because we just got to talk about Christ. It was an incredible lesson, and the first time that I really felt like I just taught about Christ. It was so incredible. Throughout the week, I have been really holding on to that and it has been a huge blessing. One thing I loved this week about the atonement is how infinitely personal it is. In a talk from Brother Bateman (I think he is a general authority) in 2005 conference, he talked about the atonement not being a "massive pile of sin" that just fell on the savior. But, rather, it was more like a line of each of us. A line, where we all stood, waited, got to the front, gave our sins to Christ, and watched him suffer. Watched him suffer for EVERYTHING we have ever done, for every guilt, pain, sadness. That was insane to me, because I realized how personal that really is. Christ doesn't just know how to comfort his children in "inadequacy", he knows how to comfort the inadequacy Elder Tengberg felt, because he felt it. That's so powerful! Then, Elder White and I were talking about it, and he mentioned that he imagines Christ turning towards us after the sacrifice, and handing us a gift - perfectly wrapped, tied up with a bow, our name inscribed in it, the most desirable gift ever. The gift is eternal life with God. Christ suffered everything so we woulnd't have to. Its all paid for. The sad thing is, how many people in the world look the savior right in the eye, look at the gift, and then walk away? It breaks my heart. It makes me so sad to think that there are and forever will be people who don't accept Christ's suffering - who don't accept the free gift. He is so merciful and kind to do that for us and I am so excited to talk to the people of Chile and tell them how they can find that gift.

I don't know whether its the amount of time we spend reading or the mantle of a missionary, but I LOVE the scriptures so much right now. My favorite part of the day is personal study. I wish I could say everything I have learned this week but I just don't have time. Anyway, my favorite has been the War chapters this week in Alma. First off, how boss is it that Moroni and Teancum are just the sickest warriors ever? They sneak everywhere and just are incredible leaders. But the real point is that I finally learned to apply it to me. To me, this entire section of the Book of Mormon is some of the MOST applicable stuff. To me, the Lamanites are temptation/sin. We constantly need to prepare, build fortifications, and be ready for temptation to come. The Nephites were SO ready. But, temptation still comes. Battles still rage. People still get wounded. No matter how righteous you are, the battles are still going to come. The sons of Helaman, the most righteous people ever, still had 300 people faint from loss of blood. It's okay to be knocked down a few times. With God, however, we never fall. Never. We will never lose if we trust in him. My absolute FAVORITE part this week though (and if you're still reading all the way down here you're incredible) was in Alma 60:20 (I think) where they ask if they remember how many times they have been delivered out of captivity. Now, this is said probably 100 times in the BoM and I always just thought it was physical captivity, like being under someone else's power. But, with the War Chapters, I realized it was SO MUCH MORE. We have been delivered out of the hands of our enemies (temptation, sin) SO many times. We have been cleansed from the hands of temptation through repentance more times than I can imagine. And the reason we need to remember that is because it helps us to constantly be grateful to God. The reason the prophets in the BoM preach remembrance so much is because God has done so much for us! Each time we receive forgiveness of sins is one of the most incredible experiences ever. We have to remember those times, and remember that He is on our side.

I am sorry this is so rambled, but hopefully that made some sense. I love you all so much and I am so grateful for all of you! Thank you thank you!

Elder Tengberg


 
 
 


 
 




 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment